Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Real" Vampires

I posted a comment under Nik's last post with a link to an article about a 4000-year old vampire grave that was found. To summarize it; a grave was found with an alleged vampire buried in it- the body was weighted down so that it could not rise from the grave and prey on other humans. I then found another small article about how the belief in vampires is connected to plague- it was believed that instead of the living dead sucking the blood of humans, the vampires would actually chew on the shroud of the dead and that would spread the plague. Not sure exactly what that means but the grave diggers would put stones in the mouths of the vampires (it kept saying they were women so i'm not sure if they thought any men were vampires... might be something to look into) so that they could not spread the plague further.
Here's the link where i got that: http://discoverytimes.blogspot.com/2009/06/vampire-skeleton-discovered-from-grave.html
not sure how credible it is but i thought i'd share it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. If we're tossing up possibly non-credible historical references, I'll certainly throw this non-credible link in: http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/hierakonpolis/zombies.html
    It's amusing though, and I can't seem to figure out how credible the site is, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats pretty interesting. lets definitely touch on that tomorrow before (or after is fine too) we read dracula or one of the other stories

    ReplyDelete