Ellen and I watched "Let Me In" (2010) tonight, which you may or may not be aware of. It's an American film based on the Swedish book "Let the Right One In," of which there is a Swedish movie of the same name (2008). We watched it. It was very good.
"Let Me In" is also very, very good. It's not an American remake of the film in the style of remakes as I know them - it's more like an American version. It's the same movie, but with different actors and a couple changed names. A few unimportant facts are changed - Owen (not Oskar) doesn't actually visit his dad's house in this movie, but the scene that takes place there still happens, for example.
I once read that even better than Bela Lugosi's "Dracula" is the Spanish version - considering dubbing to be an inferior technique, the English-speaking crew would film in the morning, and the Spanish crew in the afternoon - same sets, same everything, different language (and I guess different people). This allowed them to see what worked and what didn't, and use such information accordingly.
I'm not saying that "Let Me In" is better than "Let The Right One In." I don't think that's true. However, I have to say that they're about even. The only important thing missing from "Let Me In" is the definite, visual realization that Abby (Eli in the Swedish version) is not a girl - there's a scene where he peeks in at her getting dressed. That scene is here, but you don't actually see the visual confirmation he gets, which you do in the Swedish version. On the other hand, this movie makes it clear that the old man who goes and gets blood was, in fact, in exactly the same position as Owen, probably about 50 years ago. It hadn't even occurred to me when watching "Let The Right One In" - I was curious about the guy, and about what would happen to Owen, but I didn't connect the two. This film does.
That's the only major difference - and it's not a difference in plot or anything like that, just in what you see. I think I like the Swedish version more, but that's probably at least partly because I saw it first. "Let Me In" is just as good, but in English instead of Swedish. It's more dramatic, perhaps, a little scarier, a little less light, a little more creepy music, but the same story, almost scene-for-scene. It is very good.
Friday, June 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
On the other hand...http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/Micro-J/nom2.png
ReplyDelete